Wednesday, April 25, 2012

From Trash to Treasure: Layered Candles by Nicole Kowalczyk





    
The other day I realized that I have a ton of candles that have burned all the way to the bottom that I can’t use anymore. For some reason, I was keeping them around, and I’m glad that I did! I found a super easy and thrifty tutorial for making new layered candles out of my old ones. All you need to buy is some candlewick string. This only cost me about three dollars at Michaels! Take your jarred candles and put them in a crock-pot on the high heat setting and put the cover on. Keep an eye on the candles, as they will all melt at different rates, since they are probably made of slightly different materials and are different thicknesses. When your candles are melted, decide what scents and color combinations you want in the layers of your new candle. Glue the end of the candle wick onto a penny or whatever other object you want to use as a weight, and tie the other side to the middle of a pencil, as shown in the picture to the right. Place the penny at the bottom of a clean, empty jar and balance the pencil over the mouth of the jar. Pour one color at a time into the jar and put it in the freezer for a couple minutes to harden between layers, so that your colors don't bleed. Once you build up to the top, you have your own DIY layered candle, made from stuff that you otherwise would have thrown out! Trim the wick and enjoy the sweet aroma of creativity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment