Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lovely Lighting For The Garden by Becca Burke


I found this tutorial the other day on the lovely pinterest. It was really fun to do and the end product works really well! :)

So here’s what you need:



Mason jars
Wire
Wire cutters
Hot glue gun
Candles
Optional:
Whatever you need to decorate (ribbons, lace, etc.)
Sand
I bought my supplies at Wal-Mart and Michael’s. You can reuse jars from jams and jellies, pickles, or anything else that comes in a mason jar. 

And here’s what you need to do:

1. Measure about an inch from the end of the wire. Start making a loop there and twist the wire together below the loop.  I used a pen to make my loops identical. Make a bend in the wire to wrap around the jar.

2. Wrap the wire around the jar until it is directly across the jar from the first loop. Make a bend in the wire and create the second loop here.

3. Wrap the rest of the wire around the jar to the first loop and twist the wire around it to complete the wiring.

4. To add decorations, I put a rubber band on my jar so that I could make a straight line with the hot glue. If you are wrapping ribbon or lace around the jar like I did, I recommend putting hot glue on about an inch of the jar, then adding the decoration inch-by-inch. The great thing about hot glue on glass is that you can easily peel it off if you make a mistake.

5. Add in sand to keep the candle from moving around inside the jar.

6. Place the candle on top of the sand and light. Enjoy your new lovely lanterns!

Have fun with it! I know I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment