Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Make Mother's Day Special! by Ciara Hibbard


Mother’s Day is right around the corner! I was searching to find the perfect gift for my wonderful mother on this special day, but I was really struggling. I wanted to find something unique and heart-warming. Truth is, nothing is as memorable as something made with thought and love. So here is what I did…

After spending about 30 minutes in Michael’s, I walked out with 4 items that turned into an extremely cheap, easy, beautiful gift.

  • 5/9 Mason Jar
  • Sand (I got a deep salmon color)
  • Rocks (I chose earth-tone colors)
  • Small candle (Scent of your choice- My candle is 2.8 oz. in a glass jar)




I only spent about 13 dollars on 2 Mason Jars, 2 candles, a bag of sand, and a bag of rocks! Cheap, right?!


Now that I had all my supplies, I went straight to work.  I took the Mason Jar and filled a little over 1/3 of it with sand. The amount of sand you use depends on how high you want your candle to sit. 
Next I put the candle in, and left the lid on. It’s important to leave the lid on so the rocks don’t get into the candle. After I figured out where I wanted my candle to sit, I poured my earth-tone rocks around the glass of the candle. The rocks should be no higher than the glass of the candle.

Ready for the most exciting part of the craft? Light the candle and turn the lights out! The candle’s flame will beautifully shine through the rocks and reflect off of the Mason Jar. This creates a relaxing ambiance, with an even better scent.  The craft only takes about 15 minutes and turns out great! Top it off with a ribbon around the lid of the Mason Jar if you would like to. 


This is a fantastic gift to give to your mother if she loves thoughtful, heart-warming gifts. I know this will put a smile on my mother’s face! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment